Thursday, March 29, 2012

Well, We Ripped Out the Floor

So I altered the title.  Because most of my entries in here seem to be about our conversion to an off-grid way of life.  Maybe now when people read this, they'll know what most of it is about.

So, yesterday, Randy and I tore up the floor of the gypsy wagon.  Randy sawed up large chunks of it; I carried the chunks out and cleared out the insulation underneath.  The previous owners, upon realizing that their floor was rotting out, simply covered it in glue and lay a new floor on top of it.  How very... special of them.

Of course, our gypsy wagon's changed hands plenty of times.  Maybe they just did the quick fix to get it sold to the next unlucky pair of hands to take charge of it, before it was then transferred several more times before we got a hold of it.  I know I need to fix virtually everything about it, but I still like it.  For now at least.

Stepping across those beams felt a little bit like being in Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I was relatively sure I'd go plunging through the floor at any minute.  But anyway--

I reread the instructions for yogurt making and I'd like to give it another try.  Wish me luck.

I also read this article on glass jars which suddenly makes me want to get my hands on even more mason jars than the ten or so I've got right now.  So far, I've used glass jars as--

~drinking glasses
~vases
~containers for many random collections of objects/insects
~yogurt-making jars
~tincture-making jars
~containers for perfume
~sprout-growing jars

But there are so many other uses.  I'm particularly excited by the idea of using them to hold leftovers, since plastic containers can make the inside of a fridge get so ugly so fast.

I'd really like to get my hands on a notebook to write down all my recipes and ideas, too.  Computers (and websites) always seems just a little bit unreliable.  It's too easy to lose a web-page in the massive overflow of information.  Or have my computer break down.  Or anything else I haven't thought of yet.

But now, I'm rambling.  I'm going to read up on making something interesting, artistic and useful.  And I'm going to crochet something while I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment