Thursday, April 5, 2012

Labneh and Chickens

After the trials and tribulations of yogurt-making, I wasn't to sure the labneh would be as easy as the instructions suggested.  I kept expecting some small, fatal flaw to make itself evident in the finished product.  Instead, what I got when I opened the handkerchief was perfect, yummy cream cheese.  Exactly like the stuff you buy at the grocery store.  It was perfect!  I was overjoyed.  I immediately used some as filling for these heart healthy dark chocolates I've been making.  (Mostly for my fiance, but partly for me.)

So, I can make labneh cream cheese!  I'm ready to attempt the next step, which is Neufchatel cheese.  It's another creamy cheese, and generally that's what you're getting when you buy "goat cheese" at the grocery store.  I need to make my own buttermilk first.  And I need to get my hands on some rennet.  I can't wait, but I think it'd be wise to take maybe a week to let the yogurt and labneh information sink into my head first.

Besides, we're getting chickens!  WE'RE GETTING CHICKENS!!!  (So happy.)

I've wanted chickens for years, but it was one of those things I didn't think was going to happen for at least a couple more years after this.  But apparently, we're getting chickens.  Either today or tomorrow.  (Tomorrow, I think.)  I imagine the journal will be full up with notes about chicken care and handling.  I don't need to distract myself from that with another attempt at cheese.  I've decided I must be a remarkably distracted person, because I can really only focus on learning one new thing at a time.  The chickens will occupy my brains front burners for at least a couple days, more likely a couple weeks.

So, that's the matter I'll focus on for a while.  And I will post pictures!   Chicken pictures!  I can't wait!!! :)

RECIPE:
HEART HEALTHY DARK CHOCOLATES

So, I'm sure someone else has thought of this, but coconut oil solidifies in the refrigerator at about the same texture and consistency of a Hershey's chocolate bar.  So, lately, when I get a yen for sugar/chocolate, I've been mixing cocoa powder in with melted coconut oil, dribbling it into an ice cube tray, and sticking it in the fridge.  (I don't add sugar, because I like my chocolate dark... like my coffee, LOL.)

Once it's solidified, which takes all of five minutes or so, I pull it out then drop a little piece of filling in.  I think I'm going to experiment with raspberries and cream cheese (since I've got cream cheese).  Then I pour more cocoa powder/coconut oil over the top and pop it back in the fridge.

The end result looks thus-ly...

...and it tastes like a very dark chocolate truffle.  Usually if the filling is vaguely sweet, the chocolates are sweet enough for our sugar-avoidant palates.  For people who actually do eat sugar (like normal, sane folks do), you'll probably want to sweeten yours. :)

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete