Friday, January 27, 2012

Steampunk

So we're thinking of going with steampunk style for the gypsy wagon's decor.  I've been looking up all things steampunk over the last couple weeks in an effort to create an internal vision of what our gypsy wagon will eventually look like.

The problem for me thus far is that steampunk can sometimes lean toward the aggressively ornamental.  Many steampunk decorations are loud, large and ornate, but only a few are genuinely functional.  Since the trailer is looking tinier and tinier, every item that goes into it will need to be functional or even multifunctional.

Which means that the majority of our steampunk decor will need to actually work.

Which is a challenge.  But it might also be a very intellectually stimulating challenge.  I can't wait to see what we come up with.  I've already got a few ideas, but I'll need a lot more.

Certain aspects of the trailer will lend themselves to this kind of decor.  For example, we're planning on heating the trailer with an old-fashioned wood-burning stove.  Our oil-burning lamps will also create a certain ambience.

I'd like to make faux stained-glass doors for the cabinets, and making stained-glass gears into these might prove to be very beautiful.  I know I need a curtain to disguise the murphy bed, and a Victorian-esque pin-striped red or green might do the trick.

Anyway, that's my thoughts for now.  Still researching ideas.  Finishing the gypsy wagon is a long way off, but it will give me something to look forward to.  At the moment, she's just bones and a shell.  Pretty despressing-looking, really.

Of course, this weekend, we'll be able to start building her up again, which will be exciting.  And now I'd better get ready to go to work and earn more money.  (Still job-searching...)

No comments:

Post a Comment