Tuesday, January 24, 2012

More Clothes Washing

My fiance and I have been working more on our laundry system.  We purchased a set of buckets to wash and wring the clothes in, and when those proved to be less than desirably efficient, we bought a janitor's mop bucket virtually identical to the one I used at my first job.


(I wasn't a janitor.  I was... well, these days they're refered to as "direct support professionals" although at the time I worked there, they had a different politically correct title, which didn't matter much since the nearly toxic levels of political correctness in that company dictated a new change in title to something more politically correct every other week.  As for what I did: picture a glorified candy striper.)

So we got the mop bucket, and things have been going smoothly.  Since we're not allowed to dry clothes outside, I've rigged a wire in the living room, going from the closet doorframe to the practice pole to the window frame.  Add a little duct tape, and we now have our second load of laundry drying in the middle of the living room.  Certainly not glamorous, but it seems to work.

We also bought an oil lamp.  I've been leaning more an more off-grid in my design ideas for the gypsy wagon, and last week, my fiance suggested that we light it at night with oil lanterns.  (It's got a lot of windows, so there won't be much light shortage in the daytime.)  The oil lamp produces a surprising amount of light.

It leaves a rather distinct paraffin smell, but that doesn't bother me.  I've even temporarily suspended my health-nuttiness to consider dabbing scented oils on the inside of the hurricane glass.  I might not eat sugar anymore (health issues: sometimes being sick will make you healthy) but there's a scented oil I bought once called "sugar cookies" which does its name justice.

So, we've got the laundry situation figured out (I expect we'll need to work out future kinks, but I'm not afraid of it anymore) and the lighting situation seems to be working well.

Our friend R. says Tractor Supply has an tiny cast iron stove that would fit well into the corner, which would take care of the heat and even give me a place to keep my tea warm in the winter.  In the summer, I'm thinking we might grill or build an outdoor brick oven...?

If this happens, then we might not need to buy a new stove to go into the trailer.  We'll still need a new fridge, but we can use the old kitchen sink.  Of course, cooking in bad weather will be an issue...

Plus, I have no idea what kind of bathtub we want to buy.  And I need to make us a toilet.  And for that I'll need to get my lazy butt to work and make some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment