Thursday, February 23, 2012

Putting Stuff in Storage

I said I'd post a new entry every Thursday.  I lied.

Apparently, time's gotten away from me.  I don't know what I've done these last several weeks.  I don't know how long it's been since I accomplished anything.  I think I just checked out for a while.  Life went on.  I lived it. I did not think too deeply on it.

I finished the novel and sent a copy to my fiance for review.  He's been busy at work so it'll take a while.  The day before yesterday I went through the kitchen and pulled out all the implements and appliances that we won't be using once we're situated in the gypsy wagon.

It was a lot of stuff.  Several pots and pans.  Several cooking appliances.  More dishes than not.  Most of the silverware.  All of it is going into storage.  And more.  Today I hope to take it to my in-laws so we can start clearing out the apartment.  We have less than a month left before it's time to move out.

I read an interesting article on backpacking http://survivalblog.com/2012/02/all-you-need-to-good-you-can-carry-on-your-back-by-charles-m.html  By the way G.O.O.D. stands for "get out of dodge".  I had to look that up.  It was a very interesting article, and it definitely helped me reanalyze how I've been looking at the gypsy wagon.

There was a point at which I understood a transition would have to take place, but I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it.  I would have to put away in storage most of our belongings.  It sounds like a very simple statement of fact, but until I was actually going through the kitchen asking myself, "Keep or store?" over every item I touched, I didn't fully understand it.

I'm very excited about our life in the gypsy wagon.  I've finally stopped being afraid of parting ways with all our Stuff.  We aren't crippling ourselves.  We aren't short-changing ourselves.  We aren't giving up anything we can't live without.

We're simply cutting out all the excess.  And there's so much excess in this world.  In our lives.  And our lives already very simple compared to most.

For all I know we'll live in the gypsy wagon for a month or two before we've gotten completely sick of living so low-tech, but it will be an experience.  I think it might even prove to be an experience worth having.  The world seems full of things no one understands.  Where does my food come from?  Where does my water come from?  Where does my waste go?

But now I'm rambling.  (I woke up just a short while ago.)  So I'll stop for now.  Today I want to put a bunch of kitchen stuff in storage, and I'd like to go through my clothes and separate the clothes I actually wear from the clothes I don't.

That is if I don't fall back asleep first.

P.S. Woke up feeling very peaceful today.  I wish I could feel this peaceful every day.  I hope all the rest of the world gets a chance to feel this peaceful.  It's nice.  I hope I don't forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment